Sunday, June 3, 2018

Interview With a North Korean Refugee

I conducted a very short interview with a North Korean Refugee who now lives in Canada.

In order to keep the identity of this person anonymous, I cannot share a large portion
of the interview or include their name, date of birth or age.
However, the person allowed me to post and share two questions and answers
that were discussed in this interview.
Question: What was the one thing that you/your parents remember the most about life
in North Korea?

Response: “The most memorable thing back in the People's Republic was the Day of
the Sun celebration. General Kim Il Sung's birthday was on April 15th
so that was the day when everyone could celebrate and eat food.
I remember being full on these days.“

Question: How was schooling in North Korea compared to schooling in Canada?

Response: “School was surprisingly similar to school in Canada
except the fact that we had to learn about the Supreme Leader's Life.
We were expected to know Kim Il Sung's birthday
even though we didn't know our own grandfather's birthday.”

Question: Did both of your parents work when they were in North Korea?
If so, would you be able to tell me their occupations?

Response: “My father was a fisherman.
Most of his catch we had to sell so I was never "full".
However during the Sun Parade I remember going on my father's ship and
eating the catch he brought up.
We didn't need to sell as much on those days.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

UN plans vaccine aid to North Korea

  According to Japanese news today, South Korean government announces that United Nations (UN) is aiding North Korea with 60 million vaccine...